Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Great Switch/Receptacle Switch-out

The one thing I wanted to change about our new house was the type of switches and receptacles that were original to the house. These were totally new to me. I had never seen one. Each was self-contained. These pictures are of the very last one I replaced. First I unscrewed the two screws which released the switch from the wall.


Standard switches would consist of a box, the switch, and a face plate.  This switch was an all-in-one unit. After taking it out, I cut the wire.

Below, I have put the wire through the box and installed the box in the hole in the wall.

Here I cut off the insulation and stripped the wires.

Here I have connected the wires.

Screwed the switch into the box.

Last, I screwed the face plate onto the switch.

OK, I found three receptacles that I missed. These are also all-in-one units.

I take the receptacle from the wall.

I cut the wires from the receptacle.

I stripped the wires.

I installed the wires in the box and the box into the wall.

I wired the receptacle.

I screwed the receptacle into the box.

Lastly, I installed the faceplate onto the receptacle.




I am glad that this project is done. Switches and receptacles all look great and look modern.

No comments: