Wednesday, October 10, 2012

AK-47 Bullet



I found it. This AK-47 bullet had been lost in my stuff for years. I picked up this bullet when I was in Vietnam in 1969. I worked in surgery in the 93rd Evac Hospital. We had some poor soldier who had caught a round in his left knee. We were prepping him for surgery (he was asleep) and when the doc bent the soldier's knee, the bullet just slid right out. I got it and stuck it in my pocket. I had wondered all these years whether this was actually a M-14 round or AK-47. Both are .30 caliber rounds, but the M-14 has 6 lands and grooves while the AK-47 has 4 lands and grooves. This bullet has 4, so it is an AK-47 round. It is magnetic, so it has a steel core. The tip of the bullet has been deformed. I'm guessing that that is from hitting the knee. Anyhow, this is my war souvenir.




M-14 round is 7.62 mm x 51.  AK-47 round is 7.62 mm x 39.

M-14 vs AK-47


No comments: