Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fixing a Broken Recliner Spring

One of our recliner's foot rest would not return completely, so I turned the recliner over and found that the spring responsible for pulling the rest back had broken. I searched hardware stores and online before I decided to try to "fix" the spring itself. 

I used five links of Peerless #16 Jack Chain (Max load: 10 lbs.) that I had left over from hanging bird houses.

I just slipped each end onto the coil until they were opposite each other and 90 degrees to the opposite hook. 

This is the spring in place.

I put the chain loop around the stud.

I hooked the other end into an appropriate hole. It was the one that was obviously worn.  That's all it took. The chair retracts as good as ever, and I didn't have to buy anything.

Another successful story from the annals of Jayaruh.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the fantastic article. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.

http://www.bmvintageshaving.com/

ed said...

thank you for your fix-i googled a spring for $16. than i found this article,i remembered i had a chain from an old window weight. perfect.

but i think you failed to mention...OPEN the footrest!

again ,thanks.

Unknown said...

Worked perfect saved a good recliner from the landfill. Thanks

Unknown said...

had springs break on the couch before this one,, could have fixed that old couch !
Two weeks ago we broke a spring , and today , after reading the chain fix, my spring is back on and seems to be working great again,, great tip !! thanks

Gil said...

Appreciate your effort. Fixed both my recliners. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I bought the Liftmaster 8550W to replace my Liftmaster 3850. Its been installed for a week now and I couldn't be happier. The 8550W is extremely quiet and the WiFi and phone app is awesome. Never again will have to drive past the house to make sure I closed the garage door!Torsion spring
Torsion spring

Unknown said...

My footrest would fall when I pulled it up, tipped chair over, spring lying on floor under chair, spring end (coil) broken off, where does the new spring go?